Sunday 12 April 2009

The GMAT

Well its getting pretty late now. Its 11.45pm. I have spent a large portion of my day running through practice GMAT questions. For the uninitiated, the GMAT is a numerical and verbal exam that is part of your MBA application. I have spoken to plenty of MBA alumni and the general consensus is that Essays matter more than the GMAT. Nevertheless, you should still aim for a solid score. I believe 700+ is a decent score for a top school (720 and above would be nice). I aim to take my GMATs in June/July & then get cracking on my essays. 

Now time for a little rant. The data sufficiency section on the GMAT is pretty tricky but it pales in comparison to the sentence correction section of the verbal reasoning! As a native speaker in English (and having taken a Politics module as part of my degree no less!) I am finding this section very difficult! I swear sometimes, the sentences do not make any sense at all. Sometimes I think, "Why would any sane human being choose to write a sentence like this? It makes no sense." Anyone else doing the GMAT share my thoughts?

Anyway lesson for the day. Practice makes perfect.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey BL,

    If you keep hitting the official GMAT problems, it will get easier. And you're off to a good start blogging. You might beat me for the title soon.

    Would you mind hiding that earlier comment? I'd like to keep a semblance of anonymity :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete